Friday, March 10, 2017

5 Tips to a Great Move Out Day!

   


     As the end of my freshman year is coming to a close; I have been feeling a little sad about it but excited to move on with my educational career. Weirdly enough, I was absolutely ecstatic about leaving the hell hole American's call High School. Now, I'm not saying my school or school district were themselves terrible; but man the people in these school are sure one of a kind... and not necessarily in a good way.
     Starting college was the start to another fresh blank chapter in my life and an ending to a less than average, merely mediocre one. Now just like that, I'm going to have to move all my junk out my dorm room and back to my home for 2 months and then do it all over again! Doesn't that just sound like fun?!
     Along the way, I have received or realized ways that can and will minimize the headache of moving crap from the 3rd floor of my building to the car, to home, and then do it all in reverse and I'd like to share those with you!


Image result for college car move in
http://www.collegeconfidential.com/admit/college-move-day/


1.Plan Ahead
   This might seem obvious but start removing things weeks or even months prior to the actual move out day; that is if you can. It is now March and I don't actually move out till May but I brought a lot of little "knick knacks" to make my room more "homie I guess. I used Spring Break as the time to do a bigger de-cluttering time. I took home items that I wouldn't necessarily need for the rest of the school year.


2. Keep Boxes 

    This one applies more to the people who get a lot packages in the mail or bought stuff off of Amazon and ship it to their dorms. You should save those boxes to use to store stuff for move out. This way you don't have to buy boxes or have stuff floating around in the car. Even bring tape to keep things organized and safe for the journey home.  
       Alternatively, for those who sadly don't get packages or any mail of any sort, you could just even buy trash bags and lump stuff together to keep them neat. Keep clothes on the hangers and just wrap a bag around the bottom and tie at the top near the hangers. 
         PRO TIP: You could even have a bag/box of just stuff you didn't use throughout the year so you know next time not to waste your time packing them!



Image result for clothes on hanger in trash bag

3. Eat Food

    I'm not telling you to eat before packing so your energized and not cranky (which you should do btw) I'm talking about all the food that will be left over when its time to leave. Weeks or days prior trying eating a bit more than usual or if you have a meal plan but also lots of snacks in your room, try skipping a meal in the cafe and opt for a meal in the dorm. This way you'll have a little less to pack, and a less chance of it going bad on the trip home; especially if it needs to be refrigerated.  


4. Make Extra Cash

    SELL THOSE BOOKS! Usually, by this time you have already figures out your next semester's ("next years") class schedule. You know the books you might need as well. In with the new, out with the old. If your school has a Facebook page or a student app you could post what books you want to sell or even trade. 
Image result for sell books in college
http://berniesbooks.com/bernies_books/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/photodune-1237368-business-books-with-money-s.jpg

5. Work Large to Small

    Typically, the minds first place to go is to remove small easy stuff. Rebel! Work with the harder, larger items so when the day goes on and it just keeps getting hotter or your getting tired; its just small items left to move! Packing larger items first in the car is a great way to keep track of how much space you have left too.





I hope these 5 easy tips will assist you in a clean easy move out day! If you have any questions or tips of your own please enlighten us in the comments below!



No comments:

Post a Comment